Friday, May 21, 2010

TMI

If you have a car or drive anywhere you are probably all too familiar with this scene already:
I'm almost at a loss for words but then...Most.Absurd.Thing.Ever. This ranks right up there with those nauseating precious "Baby on Board" signs.


What exact purpose did those serve? Was I expected to alter my driving habits simply because (allegedly) the vehicle's occupants had a baby in the car? Pshaw.

What's the point? Do I really need to know that Ma and Pa Smith have a boy, two twin girls, a dog, a cat, and a parakeet? I already know from their various bumper stickers, magnets and window clings that they voted for McCain, bought their car at Autoworld, don't believe in evolution, love Corgis, think it's "better in the Bahamas", play soccer and football, cheer for Chippewa High School, are on the honor roll, have a Harley, think their ferret is smarter than my first grader and admire Calvin's (of Calvin and Hobbs) urination skills. I'm already exhausted from reading their car and I haven't even reached my destination.

How much information is too much information? When does personal pride and investment become obnoxious and obsequious? Do these various declarations constitute visual pollution? What type of information should we refrain from publicly declaring?

Personally I think anything beyond a license plate constitutes vehicular diarrhea. And if I could get away with it I'd dispense with its use. What is the purpose of all this "sharing"? How is it beneficial?

Perhaps the fact that you have a five year old son named Colton who is #13 on the Wildcats baseball team of Riverside Elementary in Brainard County is of interest to that raging pedophile in the grey Aztec following you. Or maybe your name airbrushed on the drivers side door will come in handy when the potential car jacker calls out your name while his accomplice takes your car.

Knowing each of your family members' names, place of business, school and home address is entirely too much information. The public sharing of private information to an unknown and unfiltered audience has potentially serious implications. We don't walk around with our name and telephone number emblazoned on our shirt. There's a reason for that. Why would we then choose to advertise the same information on our vehicles?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for pointing this out. These things drive me insane! I could be wrong, but it seems to be more of a southern thing. I moved from Michigan down to Charlotte 3 years ago and I have never seen so many families, flip flops and palm trees stuck to car windows...oh, and the white oval stickers with where you are from on them, such as "OBX". Up in MI you just see lots of Nascar logos and driver's numbers stuck to the car windows...which is a bit ironic IMO. Just yesterday, my husband turned to me while we were driving behind a group of family stickers with at least eight members to it and said sarcastically, "What do you think? Should we put our family of you, me and the two cats on our car window?". No, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tillie, thank you for your comment. I agree, I do think it's more prevalent in the South. Personally I don't get it. The flip-flop ones are the worst! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Free Hit Counter